- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Kemp memorial service set for Friday
Question of the Day
Family, friends and former colleagues will gather for a memorial service Friday at the Washington National Cathedral to honor Jack Kemp, the ebullient quarterback, congressman and crusader for lower taxes who died of cancer Saturday at the age of 73.
The service will include a tribute from Prison Fellowship founder Charles Colson; a pastoral prayer by the Rev. Alistair Begg, senior pastor of Parkside Church in Bainbridge, Ohio; and a sermon by the Rev. Robert Norris, senior pastor of Bethesda's Fourth Presbyterian Church. The Howard University Choir will sing at the service, and Bishop John Bryson Chane of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington will offer the invocation and benediction.
Mr. Kemp, who won friends and admirers across the political spectrum, was honored in a resolution approved by the House of Representatives on Wednesday. A bipartisan congressional delegation headed by Minority Leader John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican, and Rep. Charles B. Rangel, New York Democrat, will attend the service for Mr. Kemp, who served 18 years in the House representing a western New York district.
Seating for the memorial service, which starts at 2 p.m., begins at 1 p.m.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Trump-Carson a 2016 dream ticket
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama fundraises as the world burns
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No U.S. support for Christian peril
- EDITORIAL: Gun-shy Obama
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq