- The Washington Times - Thursday, May 7, 2009

Star head-butt

New York City police on Wednesday were investigating claims by a fashion designer who says actor Kiefer Sutherland head-butted him at a SoHo nightclub.

According to Associated Press, Jack McCollough of the Proenza Schouler fashion house, reported that an incident happened around 2 a.m. Tuesday and that he was cut on his face.

Mr. McCollough claimed Mr. Sutherland, star of Fox television’s “24,” attacked him after an argument at the club, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

The official said detectives are planning to interview Mr. Sutherland, and possibly actress Brooke Shields, who may have witnessed the incident.

No arrests have been made.

However, Mr. Sutherland will surrender to prosecutors in several weeks and face only a minor assault charge, the New York Daily News reported Wednesday.

Calls to representatives for Mr. Sutherland, Mr. McCollough and Miss Shields weren’t immediately returned, AP said.

Mr. Sutherland was released from a Glendale, Calif., jail last year after serving 48 days on a drunken driving charge.

Menace indicted

A woman who reportedly stalked actor-director-playwright Tyler Perry was indicted Wednesday on a felony aggravated stalking charge, TMZ.com reports.

According to the Web site, the Fulton County, Ga. grand jury in the Dawne Wilson case concluded there was enough evidence to move things forward to trial.

Miss Wilson was arrested at Mr. Perry’s recording studio after reportedly violating a stay away order. She is scheduled to be arraigned today.

End of an era

PBS business news anchor Paul Kangas will wish viewers his last “good buy” at the end of the year, AP reported Wednesday.

Mr. Kangas, anchor of the “Nightly Business Report” since it began as a local show in Miami in 1979, is stepping down. “NBR” now airs on 250 PBS stations nationwide, and PBS hopes to find a new partner for co-anchor Susie Gharib next fall.

Mr. Kangas’ signature signoff to viewers each night was to wish them “the best of good buys.”

Now 72, he say’s he’s not retiring. He’ll continue to give speeches and TV commentaries and do consulting work.

“Business news is what I know, and it’s what I am,” Mr. Kangas said. “I plan to stay involved.”

Farrow’s still starving

Mia Farrow is dieting - and inviting the world to watch.

The actress is on a hunger strike that she’s chronicling via regular dispatches on YouTube.com, the New York Post reports. She’s in Day 11 of a three-week, all-water fast in support of refugees in Darfur, where 16 human welfare agencies have been exiled by Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir.

“Of course, I don’t expect that me on a hunger strike is going to do that much,” Miss Farrow, 64, said in one video. “But if it provides a news hook for newspapers so they can talk about what’s really important, then that will be worth it.”

Woody, Mia again

As Miss Farrow’s hunger strike continues, Woody Allen, her former significant other, has asked a judge to stop a clothing company from putting both the actress and his wife - Miss Farrow’s adopted daughter - on the witness stand as it defends itself against his claims it used his image on billboards without permission.

In papers filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, Mr. Allen said Los Angeles-based American Apparel Inc.’s requests to summon Miss Farrow, her adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn and others including his sister and Hustler magazine publisher Larry Flynt are a “brutish attempt to smear and intimidate” him.

Mr. Allen sued American Apparel for $10 million after it used his image on its billboards in Hollywood and New York and on a Web site. Mr. Allen, who does not endorse products in the United States, said he had not authorized the displays, which the company said were up for a week. Jury selection in the civil trial is set for May 18, AP says.

Miss Farrow starred in several of Mr. Allen’s movies, including “Crimes and Misdemeanors,” during a relationship that ended in 1992, when she discovered he was having an affair with Miss Previn, then 22.

Cardin hospitalized

Fashion designer Pierre Cardin has been hospitalized after fainting and falling earlier this week.

A spokesman for the Cardin fashion house says the designer was taken Tuesday by helicopter to a hospital in Marseille, on the southern coast of France.

Spokesman Jean-Pascal Hesse says Mr. Cardin, 86, is expected to leave the hospital today.

c Compiled by Robyn-Denise Yourse from Web and wire reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide