WEEKEND REWIND IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Virginia fires Al Groh -- After a disappointing 3-9 season, Groh's dismissal after nine seasons at Virginia seemed inevitable. The former Jets coach survived last season's 1-3 start thanks to a four-game winning streak, but there was no such magic in 2009. As for his replacement, the Cavaliers would be wise to consider Richmond's Mike London, who won the FCS championship last season and would certainly have a head start on recruiting in Virginia, which produces quality talent every year. The worst mistake Virginia could make would be to aim too high and miss out on a quality candidate like London or another Al, Temple's Al Golden.
Redskins fall to Eagles -- The Redskins may have blown a pair of leads against the Eagles on Sunday, but there's still reason for optimism. Second-year receivers Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas and Fred Davis each made contributions, with Davis' touchdown giving the Redskins a second-half lead. Meanwhile, backup running backs Rock Cartwright, Quinton Ganther (not Gather, Terry Bradshaw) and Marcus Mason looked impressive running behind a patchwork offensive line, which doesn't bode well for Clinton Portis' future with the team. At 3-8, the season is obviously lost, but since they trailed the Falcons 24-3 at halftime, the Redskins at least have shown they have the heart to win, just not the talent.
TWT FIVE ATHLETES WITH BEST-MANAGED IMAGES
1. Tiger Woods -- Here's guessing the only way we'll ever know what happened early Friday morning outside his home is when TMZ pays a source enough money to leak it.
2. Tim Tebow -- It's no wonder Tebow is a God-like figure Florida... CBS has been broadcasting Tebow infomercials for the last two seasons.
3. Peyton Manning -- Before an appearance on "Saturday Night Live," Manning was considered fairly boring, but who knew he had a sense of humor?
4. Derek Jeter -- "The Captain" shows up in the New York tabloids with a different woman each month it seems, but unlike Alex Rodriguez, he does it while being single.
5. LeBron James -- He takes a hit every so often for his blatant whining to officials and pouty faces, but internationally his image is spotless.
HE SAID WHAT?
"When I visited the guy in the glass, I saw that he's a guy of commitment, of integrity, of dependability and accountability."
-- Al Groh reading a poem after Saturday's loss to Virginia Tech