THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
League championship series
Last year, the Phillies topped the Dodgers in the NLCS en route to a World Series title. In 2002, the Angels beat the Yankees in the AL Division Series on the way to their only championship.
Ravens at Vikings
Baltimore is looking to rebound after tough losses to the Patriots and Bengals. Minnesota hopes to remain undefeated.
Lions at Packers
If Green Bay is going to be relevant in the NFC, it needs to establish a ground game. This matchup will help.
Oklahoma at Texas
The Sooners have two losses, so the Red River Shootout doesn’t have its usual significance. But it’s still huge for the undefeated Longhorns.
TWT FIVE MOST CONTROVERSIAL OWNERS
1. Marge Schott - The former Cincinnati Reds owner drew the ire of Major League Baseball after making disparaging comments about Jews and blacks. It didn’t help that she let her St. Bernard, Schottzie, do his business on the field at Riverfront Stadium.
2. George Steinbrenner - His spending for the New York Yankees was blamed for the rapid rise in player salaries. But even before that, he was wreaking havoc by hiring and firing managers, publicly criticizing players and generally being meddlesome.
3. Mark Cuban - The Dallas Mavericks owner has racked up millions of dollars in fines, largely for criticizing officials. He’s a fan favorite because of his energy and creativity, but commissioner David Stern likely views him as a double-edged sword at best.
4. Bill Veeck - The former owner of the Cleveland Indians, St. Louis Browns and Chicago White Sox once hired a little person to take an at-bat in a game. He held “Disco Demolition Night,” which backfired when a riot broke out at Comiskey Park.
5. James Dolan - From sexual harassment lawsuits to the hiring of Isiah Thomas to media policies reminiscent of Soviet Russia, Dolan has been a disaster for the once-proud New York Knicks.View Entire Story
By Douglas Holtz-Eakin
The young drop coverage to avoid higher premiums
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
We welcome you to the intimate and personal thoughts on the news and events we, as editors, watch, read, and discuss with our writers every day.
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Looking at pop culture, politics and social issues.
Political commentary and literary criticism in an era of eroding liberty
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc