- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Sheriff rechecks family’s balloon account
The family has also appeared on television several times, both on local news profiles and in an episode of the ABC TV show “Wife Swap,” in which Mrs. Heene traded places with a more risk-averse Connecticut woman.
Mr. Heene denied that he rigged the balloon incident for the publicity, insisting that he had nothing to sell or advertise. The balloon was intended as part of an experiment and educational project for his sons, he said.
The Heenes, looking exhausted and frazzled, did interviews Friday morning with the three major networks. Falcon vomited during two different appearances, which Sheriff Alderden said contributed to his decision to put the interview on hold until Saturday.
If the report was a hoax, the worst the Heenes could be charged with is making a false report to authorities, a Class 3 misdemeanor. Sheriff Alderden said they could also be ordered to pay restitution for the department’s costs, a figure which has yet to be determined.
About the Author
Valerie Richardson covers politics and the West from Denver. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Stars not aligned with polls on Keystone
- Former Greenpeace insider Patrick Moore who questions climate change says he can stand the heat
- Pot shot: GOP candidates see hit to Colorado's image from legal weed
- Arizona veto likely to chill other religious freedom bills
- Alaska marijuana-legalization initiative clears signature hurdle to qualify for ballot
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared?
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again