- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
First Down: Best of the weekend
Question of the Day
THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Ravens at Patriots
Baltimore is looking like one of the most balanced teams in the NFL with its usual great defense and Joe Flacco under center. But the Patriots should be charged up as they look to avoid their second loss.
Southern Cal at California
Cal looked like the team to beat in the Pac-10 until it got throttled by Oregon last week. Southern Cal is still wondering how it lost to Washington two weeks ago. Both teams need to avoid a loss if they want a berth in the Rose Bowl.
Jets at Saints
Everyone is in love with Mark Sanchez, but New York’s defense has made it 3-0. Can the unit stop the undefeated Saints and their explosive passing attack?
AL Central race
The Tigers hold a two-game lead on the Twins heading into the final weekend. But Detroit faces the White Sox, while Minnesota meets the uninspiring Royals.
TWT FIVE OLYMPIC BID UPSETS
1. 2000 Summer Games - Sydney trailed Beijing in the first three rounds of voting by members of the International Olympic Committee, but it eked out a victory in the final round 45-43.
2. 2012 Summer Games - Paris entered the final vote as the favorite, but IOC members were swayed by the last-minute arrival of British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his wife.
3. 1996 Summer Games- Athens put up a strong bid in its effort to host 100 years after putting on the first modern games. Athens led through the first two rounds, but Atlanta gained support later to win.
4. 2010 Winter Games - Pyeongchang had an 11-vote lead after the first round, but the elimination of Salzburg put 18 votes up for grabs, and Vancouver got 16 of them.
5. 2014 Winter Games - Salzburg and Pyeongchang went after the games again but were edged by Sochi. An impassioned speech from Russian President Vladimir Putin reportedly was the difference-maker.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world