- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
First Down: Best World Series this decade?
Question of the Day
NEWSMAKERS: WHO’S MAKING HEADLINES THIS WEEK
He had this one right. Back in May when the Phillies and Yankees played, Rollins predicted this would be the World Series.
Alex Rodriguez said he and Rollins are Hall of Fame shortstops and great leaders — though Jeter is much more of a lock for the Hall.
Cliff Lee starting Game 1 was a no-brainer, but Martinez has plenty at stake in his Game 2 start at Yankee Stadium.
The “Hammer of God” crushed Rollins’ World Series prediction. Note to Rivera: See previous Rollins predictions.
He has been nearly unhittable, but the Phillies have beaten him in the playoffs before — and Brett Myers is back on the roster.
TWT FIVE REASONS THIS IS THE BEST WORLD SERIES THIS DECADE
1. No cream puffs — This series features the 2008 champs against the team with 26 World Series titles.
2. Power, power and more power — This is just the second World Series matching teams that hit more than 200 regular-season home runs.
3. City rivalry — The Phillies and Yankees don’t have a lot of bad blood, but there’s plenty of hate between other teams in the cities (see Giants vs. Eagles on Sunday).
4. Big-time stars — It doesn’t get a whole lot better than CC Sabathia vs. Ryan Howard and Cliff Lee vs. Alex Rodriguez.
5. Closing time — Which closer will be on the mound in the critical moments, Mariano Rivera or Brad Lidge? And could Eric Hinske face Lidge for the second straight World Series?
HE SAID WHAT?
“I didn’t like Notre Dame. I didn’t like Michigan, because I went to Michigan State. I didn’t like the Yankees because they won even then. And the fourth was Russia.”
— Ex-Phillies pitcher Robin Roberts, who faced the Yankees in the 1950 World Series
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq