NEWSMAKERS: WHO'S MAKING HEADLINES THIS WEEK
He had this one right. Back in May when the Phillies and Yankees played, Rollins predicted this would be the World Series.
Alex Rodriguez said he and Rollins are Hall of Fame shortstops and great leaders -- though Jeter is much more of a lock for the Hall.
Cliff Lee starting Game 1 was a no-brainer, but Martinez has plenty at stake in his Game 2 start at Yankee Stadium.
The "Hammer of God" crushed Rollins' World Series prediction. Note to Rivera: See previous Rollins predictions.
He has been nearly unhittable, but the Phillies have beaten him in the playoffs before -- and Brett Myers is back on the roster.
TWT FIVE REASONS THIS IS THE BEST WORLD SERIES THIS DECADE
1. No cream puffs -- This series features the 2008 champs against the team with 26 World Series titles.
2. Power, power and more power -- This is just the second World Series matching teams that hit more than 200 regular-season home runs.
3. City rivalry -- The Phillies and Yankees don't have a lot of bad blood, but there's plenty of hate between other teams in the cities (see Giants vs. Eagles on Sunday).
4. Big-time stars -- It doesn't get a whole lot better than CC Sabathia vs. Ryan Howard and Cliff Lee vs. Alex Rodriguez.
5. Closing time -- Which closer will be on the mound in the critical moments, Mariano Rivera or Brad Lidge? And could Eric Hinske face Lidge for the second straight World Series?
HE SAID WHAT?
"I didn't like Notre Dame. I didn't like Michigan, because I went to Michigan State. I didn't like the Yankees because they won even then. And the fourth was Russia."
-- Ex-Phillies pitcher Robin Roberts, who faced the Yankees in the 1950 World Series