- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Question of the Day
Capitalism loves Moore
Michael Moore’s new film, “Capitalism: A Love Story,” debuted last weekend in the wake of scores of statements about the evils of capitalism. For example, Mr. Moore
Not so fast, countered “Vladimir” at the Red State blog, saying “You’re wrong, Michael. Dead wrong. Capitalism has done plenty for you, sport,” and going on to list “The Top Ten Things That Capitalism Has Done for Michael Moore,” with the subtitle “Mmmmmm. Bacon.” Several of the 10 are fat jokes, and here are some of the others.
“5. Intellectual property rights are protected under capitalism. (It makes me shudder to refer to your, ahem, body of work as ‘intellectual property,’ but there you have it.)
“6. If you subtract out the rentals and royalties you’ve earned from theaters and distributors who are capitalists, you’d be living under a bridge somewhere.
“7. Your freedom to ambush corporate CEOs made you rich. You try that stunt with the new owners of GM, and you’ll have your kneecaps broken.
“8. Or worse, your next movie will be called ‘Jimmy Hoffa and Me.’
“10. Most of all, you should be thankful that capitalism has given you an affluent, liberal, self-loathing audience which eagerly laps up your tripe.”
Moore loves Obama
Conservative blogger Ann Althouse saw “Capitalism: A Love Story” over the weekend and noted, in a series of short reactions, that Michael Moore has an opinion about President Obama that, if it were to come from someone on the right, would make him seem to be a crank or, in the eyes of some on the left, a racist. It’s not the most politic thing to say about Mr. Obama.
“Amusingly, Barack Obama is presented — outright — as a socialist. We see a roomful of people exulting over the election-night announcement that Obama has won and, in context, we’re made to think that it’s the downtrodden people celebrating that socialism has arrived. I don’t think Obama really wants Michael Moore’s help,” she said.
Skyscraper loves PRC
Speaking of how capitalism treats socialists, the Empire State Building caused a row last week by turning itself red and yellow — the colors of the flag of the People’s Republic of China — to honor the 60th anniversary of Mao Zedong’s establishment of the communist regime.
“Tune in next week when the Empire State goes Red & Black to honor the Nazis,” said an outraged “Bookworm” at the Bookworm Room.
Michael Goldfarb of the Weekly Standard blog dryly reacted: “Hey, the Red Chinese only killed 50 or 60 million of their own people, why not celebrate that achievement with a special lighting scheme. The only question is what colors they use for Stalin’s birthday, since obviously they don’t want people confused as to which genocidal regime they’re paying tribute to on any particular night.”
About the Author
- Senate Democrats plan bill to reimpose Obamacare birth-control mandate
- '12 Years a Slave,' 'Gravity' take top honors at Oscars
- Cruz, Lee among top scorers in ACU conservative survey
- CNN to cancel Piers Morgan show amid ratings collapse
- Lineman likely to become NFL's first openly gay player
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Feds accept boredom, lack of work as excuses for surfing porn on clock
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world