THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
NFL season kicks off
Not that there really is an offseason anymore, but the NFL returns for the first Sunday slate of games this weekend. The best matchup may be an NFC North matchup between Jay Cutler’s Bears and Aaron Rodgers’ Packers.
Maryland vs. James Madison
If the Dukes become the third CAA team to beat an ACC team this season, the ACC must give its football broadcasting revenue to the CAA.
Michael Jordan inducted into Hall of Fame
Fortunately for Jordan, he had a somewhat decent career with the Bulls before arriving in the District and dragging down the Wizards and Bobcats franchises with terrible draft choices. Will Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison introduce him?
TWT FIVE NFL WEEK 1 STORYLINES
1. The Brady hype machine vs. the T.O. hype machine - It’s a fitting opener on the world’s most overhyped program, “Monday Night Football.” If Terrell Owens somehow injures Tom Brady, Mike Tirico’s head may explode.
2. Local blackouts - The economy has impacted the NFL, with several teams yet to sell out home games. Then again, Jaguars fans might be doing Jacksonville a favor by not subjecting them to eight broadcasts this season.
3. Rookie quarterbacks - Can Mark Sanchez or Matthew Stafford follow Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan’s playoff success of last season? Don’t bet on it.
4. One-hit wonders - Arizona kicks off its NFC championship defense hoping to prove the Super Bowl appearance was no fluke.
5. Favre’s back… again - In case there’s an NFL fan living under a rock the last two months (a good idea, in retrospect), Brett Favre came out of retirement to play for the Vikings.
HE SAID WHAT?
“He gets to some people, but he knows he can’t get to me.”