- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 2, 2009

DISTRICT

Gay marriage foes file ballot initiative

Eight people have filed a request to hold a ballot initiative that would define marriage in the District as only between a man and a woman.

The filing Tuesday was led by Harry Jackson, pastor of a Maryland church. If approved by the city’s election board, the initiative would be put on the November 2010 ballot.

The D.C. Council voted in May to recognize gay marriages performed elsewhere. Legislation to legalize same-sex marriages in D.C. is expected to be introduced this fall.

The elections board in June blocked a request by Mr. Jackson to hold a referendum on whether the District should recognize gay marriages performed outside the city. They said a referendum would authorize discrimination based on sexual orientation, which is prohibited under the District’s Human Rights Act.

MARYLAND

ANNAPOLIS

State reimbursed for inauguration

The federal government is reimbursing Maryland $3.2 million for inauguration costs.

Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski, Gov. Martin O’Malley and Rep. Steny H. Hoyer made the announcement Tuesday in a joint statement.

The money is for security expenses incurred by the state for President Obama’s inauguration.

The Justice Department also is releasing $3.4 million to Metro and $2 million to Amtrak for inauguration expenses.

BEL AIR

Rapist gets 100 years

A rapist whose sweat led to his arrest has been sentenced to 100 years in prison.

Glenn Raynor was arrested more than two years after the attack, which occurred in Bel Air in April 2006. Authorities said Raynor broke into a woman’s home in the middle of the night, cut her phone lines and raped her in her bed.

State police collected DNA swabs from more than 20 people but failed to develop a suspect. A tip from the victim last summer led police to interview Raynor. After the interview, police swabbed the chair where he’d been sitting, and DNA from his sweat was found to match blood from the crime scene.

Raynor was convicted in July of 12 counts including first-degree rape. He was sentenced Tuesday.

EASTON

Rapist sentenced to 40-year term

A Talbot County Circuit judge has sentenced a man to 40 years in prison for raping a woman beneath a foot bridge last year.

Paul G. Duffy, 20, of Easton, pleaded guilty in July to second-degree rape and second-degree sex offense. Judge Broughton Earnest, in sentencing Duffy on Monday, said, “I see you as a monster.”

The attack happened in December, when a man followed a woman on the Rails to Trails, grabbed her, dragged her under a bridge and raped and sodomized her.

The victim was not in the courtroom for sentencing. She sent a letter, which was read by an interpreter, in which she said she was afraid of Duffy, his friends and family.

BALTIMORE

Suspect arrested in double shooting

Police say a suspect in a shooting that injured two people, including a pregnant woman, has been arrested in North Carolina.

Baltimore police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said William Hyle, 18, of Baltimore, was arrested Tuesday in Claremont, N.C., by U.S. marshals, but he did not know Mr. Guglielmi’s extradition status.

The shootings took place Saturday night in the Baltimore neighborhood of Hampden. Police said a woman, who was six months pregnant, was shot in the arm and a man was struck in the leg. Both were treated and released from a hospital.

VIRGINIA

PORTSMOUTH

Teen enters guilty plea

A Portsmouth teenager set to stand trial on a capital murder charge entered a guilty plea Tuesday to first-degree murder of a fellow teenager.

By entering the plea Tuesday, 17-year-old Robert Lee Barnes avoided a trial that could have led to the death penalty for the fatal stabbing of 16-year-old Meghan Landowski in April 2008. Barnes now faces up to 42 years in prison.

Barnes also pleaded guilty to attempted rape, abduction, aggravated sexual battery and statutory burglary.

Barnes and Miss Landowski knew each at Churchland High School. He admitted the crimes as members of Landowski’s family watched in a Portsmouth courtroom.

SALEM

Gun incident lands 2 in community service

A judge Tuesday ordered 40 hours of community service for two men charged in connection with the discharge of a rifle during a July gun show in Salem.

Salem General District Court Vincent Lilley also ordered David Jack Gold and Thomas Ray Allen to pay $10 in restitution to the Salem Civic Center for damage. Mr. Gold also was fined $250.

Mr. Gold is a gun dealer from Bland. Police said Mr. Gold and Mr. Allen were replacing the stock on a military-style antique rifle when the gun accidentally discharged and shot the floor.

Mr. Gold was charged with obstruction of justice and recklessly handling a firearm. Mr. Allen was charged with recklessly handling a firearm.

The charges will be dismissed if the men comply within a year.

From wire dispatches and staff reports.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide