- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Loverro: Punt on Redskins this weekend
It’s just the third week of the NFL season, and you’ve already had enough of the drama surrounding the Washington Redskins.
Your team won 9-7 over the St. Louis Rams on Sunday with such a pathetic performance that you couldn’t even spend the week basking in the glow of victory.
Take a break this weekend. Stop worrying about Jim Zorn’s playcalling. Forget you ever heard the words “red zone.”
Consider the possibility of doing something Sunday other than watching the Redskins play another woeful team, the Detroit Lions.
Don’t tune them out completely; just do something to take your mind off the frustration. You can check scores on your cell phone wherever you are.
You have options - lots of them. This is a remarkable sports weekend for D.C.-area fans who, in the words of Don King, want to try “SKD” - something kinda different.
This is an old-school kind of weekend.
Start at Laurel Park on Saturday, when the track will host the 24th running of Maryland’s Day at the Races - the second-biggest day in Maryland horse racing after the Preakness.
The featured day at the track, previously known as the Maryland Million, is now called the Jim McKay Maryland Million. The late, great sportscaster first proposed the concept of the Maryland Million, which features the best of the Maryland horse farms for a day celebrating the state’s racing.
It may be a celebration of a bygone era, but a day at the track is still a unique experience.
Saturday’s program will feature the $200,000 Maryland Million Classic, whose field includes defending champion Cuba. Broadway Producer and Sweet Goodbye, who won the 2008 Maryland Million Turf and Maryland Million Oaks, respectively, could challenge the defending champion. Other races include the $125,000 Maryland Million Turf and the $100,000 Maryland Million Oaks.
Post time is 12:15 p.m.
After spending the day on the rail, you can head to Northern Virginia for the second half of this old-school exacta: a Jimmy Lange boxing extravaganza at Patriot Center.
Lange (30-3-2, 21 knockouts) is the area’s most popular local fighter, a man who has become the area’s boxing franchise. On Saturday, he will defend his U.S. National Boxing Council super welterweight title against a former teammate from “The Contender” - Jonathan Reid (34-11, 19 knockouts) - in a 12-round bout.
The show is Lange’s eighth at the Patriot Center - they always are entertaining and draw good crowds.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: Capitals' major challenge is finding someone who can win with Alex Ovechkin
- LOVERRO: Bo Belinsky, Sonny Liston share a cemetery - one found peace, the other didn't
- LOVERRO: Injured hand didn't keep Scott Christopher from a life of baseball and art
- LOVERRO: It's time for the Wizards to be bold and go get John Calipari
- LOVERRO: Gary Williams earned Hall of Fame through sweat equity
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.