- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
- PETA ‘hopping mad’ at Michelle Obama for using real eggs at Easter Egg Roll
GREEN & GLOVER: Animals house
January Jones, who plays Betty Draper, a Grace Kellyesque ‘60s housewife on AMC’s “Mad Men,” was on Capitol Hill on Tuesday to lobby for something oceans apart from her on-screen persona.
Miss Jones, 31, signed on to be a spokeswoman for Oceana, an environmental advocacy group, last year. Since then, she’s been involved to save sharks in the biggest shark tank of them all - the U.S. Congress.
In fact, she says her character might have something in common with a politician or two. “I think [Betty] would get involved politically for selfish reasons. She is emotionally immature,” she says.
The actress told us her biggest objective while in town was to garner support for the Shark Conservation Act of 2009, which would prohibit shark finning - or cutting off the fins of sharks and throwing the bodies back into the sea.
A native of South Dakota, Miss Jones said she didn’t experience the majesty of the ocean until age 15, which has contributed to her heightened appreciation of the sea and its mysterious creatures.
Miss Jones explained that she just wrapped filming season three of the popular television show - and after taking a vacation will be back to work on season four.
Sounds as if on her vay-cay she might be trading her twin sets and hoop skirts for a wet suit, because she told us she wants to dive with Great Whites.
Hey, if she can swim with senators, “Jaws” is nothing.
Pink shows love
While January Jones was on a mission to save her friends with fins, rocker Pink, who performed at the Patriot Center on Monday night, gave a shout-out to first lady Michelle Obama for helping critters with fur.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.