- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
SPECIAL SECTION: Rape and recovery in the Congo
Question of the Day
The Washington Times is running a weeklong expose beginning Tuesday titled “The Lost Story of the Lost Continent: How Rape Is Used as a Tool of War in Congo.” U.N. correspondent Betsy Pisik and award-winning photojournalist Mary Calvert were dispatched for six weeks to the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo to investigate the causes and consequences of a rape epidemic that is destroying the social fabric of communities.
Together, they went beyond statistics to explain why the epidemic persists despite the efforts of the United Nations, the United States and myriad nongovernmental organizations. In words and photos, they also documented the victims — from small children to elderly women — the perpetrators and those who seek to heal the terrible wounds and to end the cycle of violence and impunity. Their work was funded in part by a grant Ms. Calvert obtained from the White House News Photographers Association.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Isaac Orr
New carbon-dioxide rules would put America in the dark
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors