- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
James Cameron, Earth Day group to plant 1M trees
Question of the Day
WASHINGTON (AP) - Earth Day Network is enlisting groups in 15 countries to plant 1 million trees this year with “Avatar” movie director James Cameron and Twentieth Century Fox.
The Washington-based group is announcing its plans Sunday. Cameron planted the first of 1 million trees in April in Brazil.
In the U.S., trees will be planted in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles to improve air quality and urban animal habitats.
Tree plantings in such places as Mexico, Canada and Spain will be focused on reforestation of depleted areas.
Other efforts tie in with both development and environmental improvements. In Haiti, the U.S.-based Trees for the Future will work with farmers to plant about 500,000 fruit trees and other native species to provide economic benefits. That makes Haiti one of the largest sites.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq