- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Pilgrims evacuated after bomb threat at Lourdes
PARIS (AP) — Thousands of people, many disabled or ailing, were evacuated Sunday from the shrine at Lourdes in southern France after a bomb threat on the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a Catholic holy day.
The pilgrims returned after explosives experts scoured the area.
Some 30,000 pilgrims were at the site, whose spring water is reputed to have healing powers, when Lourdes police received a threat late in the morning saying a bomb would hit the site Sunday afternoon, said shrine spokesman Pierre Adias.
In an announcement read in six languages, authorities ordered everyone evacuated just as a midday Mass was supposed to begin.
About 900 gravely ill pilgrims, including many on stretchers, were taken to a secure place while explosives experts with sniffer dogs fanned out around the shrine, Lourdes Mayor Jean-Pierre Artiganave said on France-Info radio.
While the site was off limits to pilgrims, a scheduled prayer service was held anyway, in the shadow of the spring and a statue of the Virgin Mary.
Bishop Jacques Perrier sought to soothe believers. “We will not be afraid,” he said in opening the service, attended by only six priests and shrine personnel and broadcast on the website of TV Lourdes. Dozens of pilgrims remained waiting outside the gates, watching from afar.
After about five hours, the shrine reopened and Assumption ceremonies resumed.
“Inspection of the site allowed us to determine that it was an unfounded threat,” Mr. Adias said.
No information was available about the source of the threat.
The mayor said the evacuation was peaceful but acknowledged “the atmosphere is not one of the greatest calm.”
The Aug. 15 holiday marks the taking into heaven of the Virgin Mary. It’s a public holiday in France and several other countries, and one on which especially large numbers of pilgrims visit the Lourdes shrine.
Some pilgrims came to this year’s ceremonies in wheelchairs, others supported by loved ones, in images shown on French television.
The Roman Catholic shrine in the foothills of the Pyrenees has special meaning for the suffering, many of whom believe its spring water has the power to heal and even work miracles.
The sick bathe in pools of the cool water and take it home in plastic jugs and vials in the shape of the Virgin Mary. Thousands of people have claimed to be cured there, and the Roman Catholic Church officially has recognized 67 incidents of miraculous healing linked to Lourdes.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow