- Associated Press - Tuesday, August 17, 2010

TEL AVIV (AP) — A Palestinian who broke into the Turkish Embassy in Israel trying to take hostages and demanding asylum was turned over to Israeli authorities late Tuesday, ending a tense standoff.

Seven hours after he forced his way into the embassy, the attacker was escorted out and bundled into an Israeli ambulance. Wearing a light blue shirt and limping slightly from an apparent gunshot wound, he raised his arms briefly and shouted before Israeli police and paramedics subdued him.

An hour earlier, the Turkish government said it had the situation in hand.

“Our embassy guards neutralized the individual as he tried to take the vice consul as hostage after shouting around for asylum,” the Turkish statement said, adding he was armed with a knife, a gasoline can and a gun that turned out to be a toy.

Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor identified the attacker as Nadim Injaz, a Palestinian from the West Bank town of Ramallah. Israeli police said Mr. Injaz was released recently from prison after serving time for an attack on the British Embassy four years ago, also to seek asylum.

Channel 2 TV played a recording of a phone call it said came from the attacker.

“I have two hostages,” he said in Hebrew. “I will blow up the embassy… . If they don’t let me leave this country now, I will burn down the whole building. I will burn everything. I will burn the cars; the doors, I will break down the doors. I will break everything.”

A lawyer who said he spoke to Mr. Injaz by phone told Israel Radio that the hostages, the consul and his wife, had escaped.

Mr. Injaz said he admired Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

“I love him and I respect him,” he said. The Turkish leader “should give me political asylum against these murderers the Zionists, the murdering Jews,” he added, linking the incident indirectly to recent tensions between Israel and Turkey.

He also condemned Palestinian leaders, saying President Mahmoud Abbas “should die” for stealing funds.

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told reporters, “There is nothing to worry about at the embassy; everything is under control.” He said the attacker was not wounded seriously.

Israeli-Turkish relations have been strained over the May 31 Israeli attack on an international flotilla that was trying to bust Israel‘s blockade of the Gaza Strip. The raid killed nine Turkish citizens who were among hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists on board boats carrying aid, and many Palestinians have expressed support for Turkey in the aftermath.

Turkey withdrew its ambassador from Tel Aviv after the flotilla attack.

The Israeli Maariv newspaper said the man called the paper, identifying himself as Mr. Injaz, the Palestinian who sought asylum at the British Embassy in Tel Aviv in 2006. He said he had a flammable liquid and threatened, “I will kill any Jew that enters.”

Story Continues →