STOCKHOLM (AP) - WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said Wednesday the Pentagon has expressed willingness to discuss the online whistleblower’s request for help in reviewing classified documents from the Afghan war and removing information that could harm civilians.
The Pentagon denied it was willing to collaborate with the group, but acknowledged that it had arranged for a phone call last Sunday between its general counsel and a person claiming to be a lawyer for WikiLeaks.
“The Defense Department will not negotiate some ‘minimized’ or ‘sanitized’ version of the release by WikiLeaks of additional U.S. government classified documents,” wrote Jeh Johnson, the Pentagon’s top lawyer.
Whitman had initially told reporters there had been no “direct” contact between the Defense Department and WikiLeaks. He said he still stands by that assessment, because the phone call between Johnson and Matusheski never took place.
In an interview Wednesday, Matusheski told The Associated Press that he never had a scheduled phone call with Pentagon officials on Sunday. Instead, he said he has had several recent phone conversations with an agent from the U.S. Army’s Criminal Investigation Command, which is investigating the document leak.
The agent, he said, also called him twice on Sunday morning, but never reached him.
Assange said Wednesday that “contact has been established” but added it was not clear whether and how the U.S. military would assist WikiLeaks.
“It is always positive for parties to talk to each other,” Assange said. “We welcome their engagement.”
He reiterated that WikiLeaks plans to release its second batch of secret Afghan war documents within “two weeks to a month.”
The first files in its “Afghan War Diary” laid bare classified military documents covering the war in Afghanistan from 2004 to 2010. The release angered U.S. officials, energized critics of the NATO-led campaign, and drew the attention of the Taliban, which has promised to use the material to track down people it considers traitors.