- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Veiled airline passengers trigger security probe
MONTREAL | Transportation Minister John Baird ordered a probe after a video posted on YouTube showed two fully veiled women boarding a passenger airplane without showing their faces.
Canadian authorities want to ensure that airline personnel are verifying the identities of all of passengers before they board flights.
The video purportedly shows a group of passengers boarding an Air Canada flight from Montreal’s Pierre-Elliott Trudeau airport to London’s Heathrow airport on July 11.
The short clip, shot by a British traveler, shows a man boarding a flight with four women, two with face veils, two without. The man presents their passports, and the veiled women are allowed to board, apparently without showing their faces.
The footage is shot at a distance and it is impossible to see what happens next.
“If the reports are true, the situation is deeply disturbing and poses a serious threat to the security of the air traveling public,” Mr. Baird said.
“If our current security policies in this area are deemed to be lacking, our government will take the necessary steps to protect the safety and security of the traveling public.”
Police say kidnappers found victims on Web
SAO PAULO | Brazilian police dismantled a kidnapping ring that used profile information on social-networking sites to track victims to their jobs or favorite bars or clubs.
Nine people were arrested last week — mostly young men who spent hours on the Internet planning their crimes, authorities said Monday.
Police uncovered the group while investigating the kidnapping of a 19-year-old man in the interior of Sao Paulo state. Investigators monitored the suspects’ communications to rescue the victim.
Authorities did not say how many other people the group kidnapped or how long the ring had been acting in and around Sao Paulo.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.