- Associated Press - Sunday, August 22, 2010

KABUL, Afghanistan | President Hamid Karzai on Sunday defended his decision to disband private security firms, saying they were undermining Afghanistan’s police and army and contributing to corruption.

Last Monday Mr. Karzai ordered Afghan and international security companies to disband by the end of the year, despite U.S. concerns the short deadline may endanger American development projects that private guards protect.

NATO uses private security to guard supply convoys bringing food, water, ammunition and other supplies to military bases throughout the country. Critics have said Afghanistan’s own security forces are not ready to assume the burden.

But Mr. Karzai told ABC News’ “This Week With Christiane Amanpour” that the companies undermine the government’s effort to recruit more police and soldiers because it can’t compete with the private firms in salaries. He also repeated allegations that many companies are contributing to corruption by shaking down transport firms for money, some of which goes to warlords and the Taliban for protection.

Even before Mr. Karzai’s order last week, U.S. congressional investigators had been looking into allegations that Afghan security firms were extorting as much as $4 million a week from contractors paid with U.S. tax dollars and then funneling the money to warlords and the Taliban to avoid attacks on convoys. Allegations of widespread corruption have also been levied at the Afghan police.

“I am appealing to the U.S. taxpayer to not allow their hard-earned money to be wasted on groups that are not only providing lots of inconveniences to the Afghan people, but actually are, God knows, in contact with Mafialike groups and perhaps also funding militants and insurgents and terrorists through those firms,” Mr. Karzai said.

The Afghan Interior Ministry has licensed 52 security firms, but some older contracts are still being completed by unlicensed firms, according to the U.S. military. About half of the companies are Afghan-owned.

About 37 companies are working with the U.S. government, totaling about 26,000 armed security contractors. The majority of those work for the military, though some are employed by the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development, according to the military.

Mr. Karzai said security companies were “running a parallel security structure to the Afghan government” as well as harassing Afghan civilians.

“They are wasting billions of dollars of resources and they are definitely an obstruction, an impediment in a most serious matter to the growth of Afghanistan’s security institutions, the police and the army,” he said.

During the interview, Mr. Karzai also promised the two anti-corruption task forces — the Major Crimes Task Force and the Sensitive Investigative Unit - would be allowed to conduct corruption probes of high-level government officials regardless of their political connections.

Mr. Karzai demanded more control over the work of the two teams, which are mentored by U.S. and British law enforcement officials, after the recent arrest of a top presidential adviser, Mohammad Zia Salehi, for allegedly accepting a car in exchange for help in exerting pressure on Afghan officials to ease off in another corruption case.

The Obama administration sees Mr. Salehi’s arrest as a litmus test of Mr. Karzai’s willingness to fight corruption.

Mr. Karzai confirmed during the interview he intervened “very, very strongly” because Mr. Salehi’s civil rights were violated during his arrest.

“This man was taken out of his house in the middle of the night by 30 Kalashnikov-toting masked men in the name of Afghan law enforcement.” he said. “This is exactly reminiscent of the days of the Soviet Union, where people were taken away from their homes by armed people in the name of the state and thrown into obscure prisons in some sort of kangaroo courts.”

Story Continues →