- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Remaining U.S. troops still face danger in Iraq
BAGHDAD (AP) — Lt. Ryan Alexander stands thigh-deep in a dark grove of reeds and palm trees, hunting for rockets. Officially, the U.S. combat role in Iraq is ending this month, but Lt. Alexander and his platoon are under orders to keep insurgents from using the south Baghdad field as a hiding place for Katyushas.
“We’re going to be doing this as long as they tell us,” Lt. Alexander said in a near-whisper in the steamy pre-dawn air, his machine gun slung over his shoulder. Behind him, Iraqi Lt. Wassan Fadah Hussein had his handgun out and ready for action.
In the near distance came a gunshot. “Sounded like a little boom,” Lt. Alexander drawled.
The number of U.S. soldiers in Iraq dipped Tuesday to 49,700, dropping below the 50,000 threshold ahead of the end-of-the-month deadline set by President Obama. But the war is not yet over for the remaining troops, who will continue to put themselves in danger on counterterror raids and other high-risk missions that aren’t called combat but can be just as deadly.
Until the end of 2011, U.S. troops mostly will focus on training Iraqi soldiers and police to take over the nation’s still-shaky security. They will counsel Iraqi officials on how to endear themselves to their citizens, whether through handing out soccer balls to kids or building irrigation systems for farmers.
But they also still will be on security patrols — such as the one that Iraqi police said was hit by a roadside bomb Tuesday in the southern city of Basra, with no casualties immediately reported. And they will still be dying — the 4,416th U.S. soldier to die in Iraq was killed in a Basra rocket attack earlier this week.
In an attempt to end what he once termed “a dumb war,” Mr. Obama ordered all but 50,000 troops to leave Iraq by Aug. 31. Those left behind no longer will be allowed to go on combat missions without being joined by Iraqi forces.
Much of that change already was put into effect last summer. A security agreement between Baghdad and Washington stopped U.S.-only patrols and raids in Iraqi cities, where most of the threat exists, after June 30, 2009. That same agreement requires all U.S. troops to be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.
“As far as boots on the ground, mainly it’s Iraqis doing the work,” said Gen. Ali Gadaun, commander of Iraq’s troop operations. “Of course, the Iraqis want to see this day coming, that their forces are in charge of the country and in charge of their security.”
In Massachusetts, where the president was on vacation, White House counterterrorism chief John Brennan called the drawdown in U.S. troops a “truly remarkable achievement.” He noted that the milestone was reached a week ahead of schedule and represented a drop of 94,000 troops on Mr. Obama’s watch.
But Mr. Brennan acknowledged that the Iraqis still face sizable challenges, including forming a stable government and preventing terrorist bombings. “There’s still more progress that needs to be made inside of Iraq to ensure that security is going to prevail throughout the country and is going to be enduring,” he said.
More than 20,000 American soldiers in Iraq have been assigned to “advise and assist brigades” and will continue patrols and training exercises with Iraqis. Fewer than 5,000 are special forces who will team up with Iraqi troops on counterterror raids and other high-risk missions.
“There is still danger. There are still going to be people who attack our forces. We all know that,” Gen. Odierno said Tuesday. The general said he worries that Congress next month will cut funding requests — from about $2 billion to $1 billion — intended to help Iraq secure itself from foreign threats.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow