- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Applause for Sept. 11 bill
The Sept. 11 victims' families referenced in two recent editorials criticizing Sens. Arlen Specter and Lindsey Graham wrongly implied the senators somehow had failed to stand up for them ("Specter's vote for an Obama job?" and "Strange Graham-Kagan dance," Comment & Analysis, July 20 for both).
Contrary to the views expressed in those editorials, both senators have been stalwart and forthright in their support for the efforts of the families of the Sept. 11 victims to bring civil suits against Saudi government actors for their funding and support of international terrorism. The Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act, legislation that these senators have sponsored along with Sen. Charles E. Schumer, is an excellent proposal aimed at strengthening America's efforts to hold terrorists and their financial supporters accountable for the harm they cause, and it ultimately deters terrorist conduct.
If the editorial board is truly interested in the continuing fight of the Sept. 11 victims' families to obtain justice and prevent future terrorist attacks on U.S. soil, it should applaud these senators for their support of this measure, call on other members to sponsor the bill and press for its prompt passage.
Mother of Mark K. Bingham, United Airlines Flight 93
Los Gatos, Calif.
Survivor, One World Trade Center
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine