- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Applause for Sept. 11 bill
Question of the Day
The Sept. 11 victims' families referenced in two recent editorials criticizing Sens. Arlen Specter and Lindsey Graham wrongly implied the senators somehow had failed to stand up for them ("Specter's vote for an Obama job?" and "Strange Graham-Kagan dance," Comment & Analysis, July 20 for both).
Contrary to the views expressed in those editorials, both senators have been stalwart and forthright in their support for the efforts of the families of the Sept. 11 victims to bring civil suits against Saudi government actors for their funding and support of international terrorism. The Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act, legislation that these senators have sponsored along with Sen. Charles E. Schumer, is an excellent proposal aimed at strengthening America's efforts to hold terrorists and their financial supporters accountable for the harm they cause, and it ultimately deters terrorist conduct.
If the editorial board is truly interested in the continuing fight of the Sept. 11 victims' families to obtain justice and prevent future terrorist attacks on U.S. soil, it should applaud these senators for their support of this measure, call on other members to sponsor the bill and press for its prompt passage.
Mother of Mark K. Bingham, United Airlines Flight 93
Los Gatos, Calif.
Survivor, One World Trade Center
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'