- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Bernice King breaks silence, asks SCLC to end rift
ATLANTA (AP) — After nearly 10 months of silence, the Rev. Bernice King is telling the Southern Christian Leadership Conference to end the bitter infighting that has split the group.
At a news conference Tuesday, Ms. King said she wants to lead the civil rights group but declined to say when she would take over the post to which she was elected in October. She’s previously indicated she would wait out legal wrangling.
Late last year, the leadership of the group founded by Ms. King’s father, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., split into two factions that have met and made decisions separately.
The SCLC is awaiting a decision from a judge as to which faction controls the group.
Ms. King said she will lead a prayer vigil for the SCLC on Friday as the factions prepare to host dueling conventions. She has not decided whether she will attend either.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.