- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Move over, Congress
Has Congress so lost its role in our republic that it is no longer relevant or necessary?
One would expect that when Congress passes laws they that those laws be implemented and enforced. Laws like Voter Intimidation, Military Voting Rights and yes Immigration.
The recent battle between the State of Arizona and the Federal Government has demonstrated that it is the Justice Department or the Administration that decides which laws will or will not be implemented or enforced. The New Black Panther voter intimidation cases as well as the Justice Department encouraging States to obtain waivers to avoid complying with the rights of Military voters are other examples. Who know what other laws and statues the Administration and Justice Department have decided to ignore.
We can understand that the Administration would have some discretion in allocating resources to faithfully execute laws enacted by Congress pursuant to the Constitution (Powers allocated to Congress: "To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof." It seems however that the executive branch has usurped the roll of Congress and now decides through the so called Justice Department which laws will be enforced and which will not.
Go home Congress. You are superfluous, the Administration and the Justice Department can and are writing their own laws you just get in the way.
ROBERT A. POGGI
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Paul Ryan to meet with black lawmakers after 'inner cities' flap
- Georgia's new carry law a big win for gun rights
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear