- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
Muti, Te Kanawa to receive Opera News Awards
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Conductor Riccardo Muti, sopranos Kiri Te Kanawa and Patricia Racette, bass-baritone Bryn Terfel and tenor Jonas Kaufmann have won this year's Opera News Awards.
The five will be honored at a dinner on April 17 in New York, with proceeds going to the Metropolitan Opera Guild's education programs.
Muti, former music director of the Philadelphia Orchestra and Milan's Teatro alla Scala, made his Metropolitan debut this year conducting Verdi's "Attila" and becomes music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra this season.
Terfel and Kaufmann are to star in a new production of Wagner's Ring Cycle that starts with the first two installments at the Met this season.
Te Kanawa made her Met debut in 1974, and Racette has sung at the Met since 1995.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- White House improvises again on patchy Obamacare rollout
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- GOP Rep. Tim Murphy rolls out mental health legislation
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Chef Mary Moran discusses the food we eat, where it comes from and what it does for us.
An informed and often humorous take on the world of advertising, public relations and social media. 100% Pure. Not from concentrate.
Does it take over 25 years in public service to really know what goes on in Washington?
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow