Intel Corp. is re-entering the market for mobile-phone chips with the proposed $1.4 billion acquisition of the wireless-chip division of Germany's Infineon Technologies AG. Below are the rankings of the top makers of processors and other communications chips for mobile phones, as ranked by Gartner Inc. based on worldwide figures in 2009.
1. Qualcomm Inc. Market share: 25.7 percent; revenue: $5.9 billion; phones include: HTC Corp.'s Droid Incredible, Google Inc.'s Nexus One, Sony Ericsson's Xperia X10.
2. Texas Instruments Inc. Market share: 12.3 percent; revenue: $2.8 billion; phones include: Motorola Inc.'s Droid X, Palm Inc.'s Pre, Samsung Electronics Co.'s Omnia HD.
3. STMicroelectronics. Market share: 12 percent; revenue: $2.8 billion; phones include (in joint venture with Ericsson): Acer Inc.'s beTouch and other devices from Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG Electronics.
4. MediaTek Inc. Market share: 10.9 percent; revenue: $2.5 billion; phones include: devices from LG Electronics and Motorola.
5. Infineon Technologies AG. Market share: 5.5 percent; revenue: $1.3 billion; phones include: Apple Inc.'s iPhone, Samsung's Galaxy S
Other chip makers take up the remaining market share.