- ‘Fact-Checker’ blog takes on Dems for their comments on Hobby Lobby decision
- Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract sells for $1.02M at auction
- Citigroup settles subprime mortgage case for $7B
- Archie to be shot saving gay friend in comic book
- Sen. John McCain on illegal child immigrants: Fly them home, now
- Pope Francis puts number of priestly pedophiles at 2 percent: report
- Oregonians flee in face of fast-moving wildfire as homes go up in blaze
- Eric Holder: ‘Racial animus’ fuels opposition to Obama and me
- Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl to return to active duty at Fort Sam Houston
- Israel says it’s downed drone along southern coast
Stars do sunset shades on Emmys red carpet
Question of the Day
Kelly Osborne, who’s joining E!’s “Fashion Police,” showed off her post-“Dancing With the Stars” shape in a sophisticated black gown with a V-neck and jeweled gathered at the shoulders by Tony Ward.
Heidi Klum did black, but she went short in a micro-mini by Marchesa. “Well, you kind of look at what the choices are and then you kind of go with what you love the most,” she said. “It’s not like there’s a whole game plan, it has to be short, or anything like that.”
Marchesa also designed the white, jeweled halter gown worn by Kim Kardashian.
Jamie Cadwell, director of the Diamond Information Center, noted that Kardashian did the stacks of diamond bracelets that is “the modern way to do diamonds.” (Kardashian’s platinum cuff bracelet with 80 carats of champagne and white diamonds were by Lorraine Schwartz.)
Cadwell said a slew of classic diamond drop, stud and chandelier earrings gave balance to the mostly colorful, contemporary gowns. But “classic” doesn’t have to mean subtle _ Jones’ 10.12-carat Cartier platinum-and-diamond stud earrings were valued at $1.2 million.
Julianna Margulies had a fair amount of glitz on her embellished, midnight-blue L’Wren Scott gown, and Claire Danes’ Giorgio Armani Prive bronze strapless gown was fully encrusted with Swarovski drop crystals and iridescent sequin beading.
Anna Paquin’s black gown was practically gold plated around its shoulders and bustline. Newlywed Paquin matched husband Stephen Moyer in Alexander McQueen; he opted for a classic tux but hip skinny tie.
W’s Martinez was pleased to see so many men in classic bow ties, though, Jimmy Fallon and Jon Hamm, among them.
“Glee” creator Ryan Murphy bought into the blue trend big time, wearing a blue jacket, tie and mirrored sunglass lenses. He gave the rare shout-out to the designer Tom Ford in his acceptance speech after winning the award for directing a comedy series.
(This version CORRECTS to `Ryan’ from `Brian’ in last paragraph.)
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Eric Holder: 'Racial animus' fuels opposition to Obama and me
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Obama's 'blank check' rejected as border solution
- Defense Dept.: Contracting personnel may be wasting billions due to FAR regulation confusion
- Inside the Beltway: White House grade slips to 'F'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs