- Associated Press - Tuesday, August 31, 2010

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Roughly two weeks before a judge would sentence her to jail, Lindsay Lohan sat in a downtown courtroom and recounted to a grand jury how a burglar’s black fingerprints on her wall left her so unnerved that she had to move.

Moments later, Orlando Bloom told the same panel how a break-in at his home had left him distrustful of those around him, especially after he realized his carefully hidden collection of watches had been plundered.

The appearance of Lohan, Bloom and four other celebrities in late June before a Los Angeles County grand jury went unnoticed. Yet their testimony helped indict five young people who authorities claim desperately craved what the stars had and were willing to cut through fences and climb through a doggie door to get.

The stars’ reactions revealed in recently unsealed testimony obtained by The Associated Press offers the most detailed account so far of the personal toll that resulted from the rash of celebrity break-ins by the so-called “Bling Ring” between October 2008 and August 2009. One ring member pleaded out and served time; the five others face trial later this year.

Lohan’s testimony typified the fear felt by the celebrities whose homes had been targeted: “That night I went back to the house, I just felt, to be honest, so violated and uncomfortable that I literally packed as much stuff as I could,” Lohan told the jurors, “because it wasn’t about the things that were taken, it was just the fact that someone came into the only private space that I have in my life at this point.”

One-by-one, Rachel Bilson, Audrina Patridge and Paris Hilton also recounted for grand jurors how they walked into their supposedly secure Hollywood Hills homes to find them ransacked and looted.

Brian Austin Green told the jury how the burglary of his home _ the last one targeted _ was so stealthy that he thought his missing items were simply misplaced. It wasn’t until a detective called and told him his stolen Sig Sauer handgun had been recovered that he realized he’d been robbed.

Some of the items stolen were eventually returned. But still outstanding are several irreplaceable personal items, including Bilson’s mother’s engagement ring that she gave to “The O.C.” star.

For a while, the actors told jurors, their belongings had been replaced with a sense of vulnerability and dread.

“It took me a while to feel comfortable staying there,” Bilson said of her home. “I wouldn’t sleep in my bedroom for about a month.

“And I was convinced that I needed to sell my house and get out of there, because I was very scared,” she told jurors. “But I’m still there.”

Deputy District Attorney Sarika Kim, who is handling the prosecution, urged jurors to overlook the stars’ wealth and celebrity.

“It doesn’t matter,” Kim told the grand jury in closing remarks. “The fact that you are able to replace property doesn’t matter. And in fact, we heard evidence in this case some of the folks weren’t able to replace any of the property. Some folks lost items of sentimental value.”

“And I think the one thing that was abundantly clear from listening to the testimony of all of the victims was what they lost most importantly was a sense of security,” Kim said.

None of the stars have testified in open court. Bloom likely would have been the first, but Alexis Neiers, who was charged with his break-in, took a plea deal before trial. An aspiring model and reality television star, Neiers served 30 days in jail.

Story Continues →