- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Rallying against our entitlement problem
Question of the Day
Everyone is in a tizzy over former Wyoming Sen. Alan Simpson’s e-mail to a seniors advocate (“Social Security advocates having a cow,” Page 1, Monday). Well, good for Mr. Simpson. Of course, I imagine his days are numbered on the august National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform; he violated a cardinal rule in entitlement politics, which is to keep lying through your teeth long enough to make it to the end of your political career.
How many people out there know they have been lied to? Fox News host Glenn Beck alludes to the “big lie” on nearly every broadcast he does and managed to entice half a million people to assemble in Washington last weekend. Come they did, all kinds of people, including me.
Social Security is just a piece of the entitlement problem. Add up all of the entitlement obligations, which are supported by trust funds containing nothing but spending authority, and extrapolate to perpetuity, and you have a present value mismatch well in excess of $100 trillion. And yes, this mismatch went up when Obamacare was passed.
Many of the people at the “Restoring Honor” rally really sat on a bus for two or three days just to come to Washington and make a statement. It was a sacrifice, but can we make a much harder sacrifice and reform? It sure beats imploding.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones