- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Connecticut gunman drew bead on bosses
Killer of 8, self cited racism
Question of the Day
MANCHESTER, Conn. | The warehouse driver who fatally shot eight co-workers and himself at a beer distributorship apparently targeted managers who had hired a private detective to tail him and forced him to resign because he stole beer from work, police said Wednesday.
Omar Thornton’s girlfriend, meanwhile, told the Associated Press that he had complained of racial harassment and had shared evidence of it with her: Photos of racist bathroom graffiti and a surreptitiously monitored conversation said to involve company managers.
Thornton carried two 9 mm handguns to Hartford Distributors inside his lunchbox Tuesday and left a shotgun in his car, police said. At a disciplinary hearing, he watched video that showed him stealing beer and then resigned after being asked whether he wanted to quit or be fired.
He then asked for a drink of water and went to a kitchenette where his lunchbox was, Manchester police Lt. Christopher Davis said Wednesday. He took out his guns, walked out into the hall and began shooting immediately, Lt. Davis said. All the weapons were registered, he said.
The first people shot were managers or executives involved in Thornton’s firing, he said, adding that it’s not clear whether every victim was targeted or whether some were shot randomly.
Thornton left the office area and went into a large section of the warehouse where more victims were found, Lt. Davis said. He chased one or more of them outside into a parking lot, shot a locked glass door to get back into the building and continued shooting.
One man who was fatally shot tried to evade Thornton on a forklift, which crashed into an electrical conduit and started a small fire, the lieutenant said.
Finally, Thornton called his mother to say goodbye, said his uncle Wilbert Holliday. Thornton, who is black, had complained of racial harassment for months to family and friends and indicated he did target people — because they had harassed him.
“I shot the racists that was bothering me,” he told his mother.
Police found Thornton dead in an office.
Lt. Davis revealed Wednesday that the company had hired a private investigator to follow Thornton outside of work for a few weeks after becoming suspicious that he was stealing. The amount of beer Thornton took wasn’t clear.
Mr. Holliday said his nephew told his family that he was the only black employee at the company. None of the victims were black, Lt. Davis said.
Among the people shot were several in positions of responsibility at Hartford Distributors.
TWT Video Picks
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Afghan who killed three U.S. Marines in 2012 to serve over 7-year prison sentence
- EDITORIAL: Obama's 'economic patriotism' means higher taxes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq