- Tenn. woman receives two-year sentence for stealing $364K meant for homeless veterans
- School bus driver gets probation after kicking autistic girl, 8
- Ex-Army Ranger petitions to keep tan beret off certain soldiers’ heads
- U.S. clears sale of $680 million in Black Hawk helicopters to Mexico
- Justice Dept.’s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Kansas man wants ‘Murder’ tattoo removed from neck before murder trial
- Obama goes golfing as family mourns aunt’s death in Boston
- Atheists win prayer battle against California city council
- Americans for Prosperity ad attacks N.H. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen’s Obamacare vote
- Senate races are close in Southern states, poll shows
Obamas named honorary chairs of Arena Stage
NEW YORK (AP) - The upcoming theater season takes on a presidential flair as Barack and Michelle Obama become honorary chairs at Washington’s Arena Stage.
This year marks the inaugural re-opening of the facility, renamed the Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater. The not-for-profit regional theater complex has gone through extensive renovations since 2008.
The yearlong festivities kick off with a black-tie gala on Oct. 25 that includes a performance by Tony Award winner Brian Stokes Mitchell. The Obamas are expected to attend.
The theater hosted the developmental run of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize-winning play “Next to Normal” before it came to Broadway.
Along with the Obamas, Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty and his wife, Michelle, were named co-chairs.
Arena Stage Artistic Director Molly Smith says the support of both couples emphasizes a seminal moment for the future of American theater in the Washington area.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014