- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
Question of the Day
Rangel ‘not very’ optimistic on deal
NEW YORK | Rep. Charles B. Rangel, New York Democrat, said he is not optimistic that he will avoid a House trial on ethics violations.
Mr. Rangel told reporters after an event with New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg on Monday that he is hoping for an agreement.
But he said he’s “not very” optimistic that will happen. He said he is hoping for the truth to be revealed.
A House ethics panel charged Mr. Rangel with 13 violations last month. Unless he reaches a deal, he faces a public trial.
Mr. Rangel is accused of accepting several New York City rent-stabilized apartments and omitting information on his financial disclosure forms. He’s also accused of failing to pay taxes from a rental property in the Dominican Republic, and improperly soliciting money for a college center to be named after him.
Bush to assess quake relief efforts
Mr. Bush, a Republican, and his Democratic predecessor, Bill Clinton, have teamed up to help raise money for victims of the Jan. 12 earthquake that killed an estimated 230,000 people.
Mr. Bush will view progress made on rebuilding after the quake, hear from Haitian citizens regarding the current conditions in their country, and visit with organizations that are assisting in the rebuilding effort, Bush spokesman David Sherzer said.
Mr. Bush has kept a low profile since leaving Washington, traveling occasionally for speeches but mostly working on his presidential memoir to be published later this year.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq