- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Rangel ‘not very’ optimistic on deal
NEW YORK | Rep. Charles B. Rangel, New York Democrat, said he is not optimistic that he will avoid a House trial on ethics violations.
Mr. Rangel told reporters after an event with New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg on Monday that he is hoping for an agreement.
But he said he’s “not very” optimistic that will happen. He said he is hoping for the truth to be revealed.
A House ethics panel charged Mr. Rangel with 13 violations last month. Unless he reaches a deal, he faces a public trial.
Mr. Rangel is accused of accepting several New York City rent-stabilized apartments and omitting information on his financial disclosure forms. He’s also accused of failing to pay taxes from a rental property in the Dominican Republic, and improperly soliciting money for a college center to be named after him.
Bush to assess quake relief efforts
Mr. Bush, a Republican, and his Democratic predecessor, Bill Clinton, have teamed up to help raise money for victims of the Jan. 12 earthquake that killed an estimated 230,000 people.
Mr. Bush will view progress made on rebuilding after the quake, hear from Haitian citizens regarding the current conditions in their country, and visit with organizations that are assisting in the rebuilding effort, Bush spokesman David Sherzer said.
Mr. Bush has kept a low profile since leaving Washington, traveling occasionally for speeches but mostly working on his presidential memoir to be published later this year.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.