- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
- CDC sees measles spike and ‘failure to vaccinate’
Mia Farrow testifying at war crimes trial
LEIDSCHENDAM, NETHERLANDS (AP) - Actress Mia Farrow testified at Charles Taylor’s war crimes trial Monday that fashion model Naomi Campbell told her she had been sent a “huge diamond” by the former Liberian ruler in 1997, contradicting Campbell’s evidence last week.
The prosecution called Farrow and Campbell’s former agent Carole White to testify about a gift of uncut diamonds the former Liberian president allegedly gave the model at a September 1997 party hosted by Nelson Mandela.
Campbell told the court on Friday she was given several small stones by unknown men during the night, but she hadn’t known they were diamonds nor who had sent them.
The prosecution claims Taylor traded guns to rebels in neighboring Sierra Leone in exchange for uncut diamonds _ known as “blood diamonds” for their role in financing conflicts _ during the country’s 1992-2002 civil war, which left more than 100,000 dead.
“She said that in the night she had been awakened, some men were knocking at the door, and they had been sent by Charles Taylor, and they had given her a huge diamond,” Farrow said, recounting her memory of what Campbell said at the time.
Taylor denies all 11 charges he faces at the Special Tribunal for Sierra Leone, including murder, rape, sexual enslavement and recruiting child soldiers.
Prosecutors allege he armed and commanded Sierra Leone rebels who murdered and mutilated thousands of civilians.
“We have prepared and planned our strategy based on their notification that their first witness would be Carole White,” he said.
He accused prosecutors of “playing fast and loose.”
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- New battlefront emerges in war between Republicans, tea party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Budget negotiators look to federal workers for benefit concessions
- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on 'outdated' agencies
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A politically conservative and morally liberal Hebrew alpha male hunts left-wing viper
This column will cover anything that has anything remotely to do with the game of baseball, from the game itself to mid-summer trades to offseason moves.
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Political satirist and Christian apologist Bob Siegel discusses religion and politics.
White House pets gone wild!