- French president accuses Syria’s Assad of gassing his own citizens
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
Tulowitzki gets $157.75 million, 10-year deal
San Francisco found its new shortstop, reaching a preliminary agreement with Miguel Tejada on a $6.5 million, one-year contract. The deal is pending a physical.
“I take pride in having the opportunity to compete for that team,” Tejada told the AP in Spanish.
St. Louis also agreed to a $750,000, one-year contract with pitcher Brian Tallet _ Theriot’s teammate on the 2000 LSU team that won the College World Series.
Theriot hit .270 with 29 RBIs last season with the Chicago Cubs and Dodgers. He has played both middle infield spots, but prefers shortstop.
“We felt this was a really good fit for us,” Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said. “This is not necessarily the last move we’re going to make between now and opening day, but if we did have to start today he would likely be our shortstop.”
Tallet, a 33-year-old left-hander, was 2-6 with a 6.40 ERA in five starts and 29 relief appearances for Toronto last season.
Houston agreed to a $1 million, one-year contract with catcher Humberto Quintero, and Texas gave Japanese right-hander Yoshinori Tateyama a one-year contract that includes club options for 2012 and 2013.
AP Sports Writers Greg Beacham, R.B. Fallstrom, Janie McCauley and Arnie Stapleton, and Associated Press writer Dionisio Soldevila contributed to this report.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.