- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
- 68,000 more file for unemployment — in one week
- Michigan bans in-state insurers from covering abortion
Tulowitzki gets $157.75 million, 10-year deal
Question of the Day
San Francisco found its new shortstop, reaching a preliminary agreement with Miguel Tejada on a $6.5 million, one-year contract. The deal is pending a physical.
“I take pride in having the opportunity to compete for that team,” Tejada told the AP in Spanish.
St. Louis also agreed to a $750,000, one-year contract with pitcher Brian Tallet _ Theriot’s teammate on the 2000 LSU team that won the College World Series.
Theriot hit .270 with 29 RBIs last season with the Chicago Cubs and Dodgers. He has played both middle infield spots, but prefers shortstop.
“We felt this was a really good fit for us,” Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said. “This is not necessarily the last move we’re going to make between now and opening day, but if we did have to start today he would likely be our shortstop.”
Tallet, a 33-year-old left-hander, was 2-6 with a 6.40 ERA in five starts and 29 relief appearances for Toronto last season.
Houston agreed to a $1 million, one-year contract with catcher Humberto Quintero, and Texas gave Japanese right-hander Yoshinori Tateyama a one-year contract that includes club options for 2012 and 2013.
AP Sports Writers Greg Beacham, R.B. Fallstrom, Janie McCauley and Arnie Stapleton, and Associated Press writer Dionisio Soldevila contributed to this report.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Selfie at heart of Obama fiasco to stay secret
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
An objective, analysis-based perspective of D.C. sports as seen through the eyes of lifelong D.C. sports enthusiast, John Heibel.
The Career Doctor Cassi Fields prescribes valuable advice for anyone looking to find a career, nail an interview or earn a promotion.
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow