- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
FDA warns Tessalon cough capsules a risk to kids
WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says that Tessalon liquid cough capsules should be kept in child-proof containers because they look like candy and could pose a risk to young children if ingested.
The agency said Tuesday that the drug has been approved to treat cough symptoms in patients older than 10, but its appearance might entice younger children who could suffer serious side effects or die if they take it.
Tessalon is the brand under which the drug benzonatate is sold by a subsidiary of New York-based Forest Laboratories Inc. Generic versions are also on the market.
The FDA says that from 1982 through May of this year, there have been seven cases where children younger than 10 accidentally ingested benzonatate. Five of those children died.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.