Injured Clinton Portis hopes to return to Redskins

Question of the Day

What has been the biggest debacle on Obama's watch?

View results

ASHBURN, VA. (AP) - Clinton Portis will turn 30 next year. The Washington Redskins running back was close to quitting two years ago, having lost his “lust” for the game.

Since then he’s had back-to-back seasons cut short because of injuries. His big contract makes sense only if he’s producing big numbers.

But Portis wants to keep going. He practically lobbied the Redskins Thursday _ two days after his most recent surgery _ to keep him in their plans for 2011.

“I feel like I can’t leave on this note,” he said.

His season over, with appearances in just five games and a career-low total of 227 yards rushing, Portis this week had an operation to repair muscle tears in his left groin and his lower abdomen. The groin injury caused him to miss five games, then he lasted only five carries when he returned before tearing the abdominal muscle two weeks ago against Tennessee.

“They fixed it all,” Portis said. “They did the ab. They did the groin. They repaired me, so it was a minor tuneup. I went and got tuned up and I feel like everything should be fine.”

Portis‘ future is very much an open question in Washington. The Redskins, who opened the season with the oldest roster in the NFL, need to get younger and healthier. Portis was a dynamic running back in his day, but he missed the final eight games of 2009 with a severe concussion and this year will again spend the last part of the season on injured reserve.

“I’m hoping that he can come back here,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “Hopefully he can be a lot healthier than he’s been over the last couple of years. …. There’s a bunch of factors. Has age caught up with him? Have the injuries caught up with him? Only time with tell.”

Ironically, teammates said Portis had rededicated himself this year, having regained his enthusiasm with Shanahan’s arrival. It was when Portis was still healthy that he lost a bit of his fire, when the team was struggling under coach Jim Zorn and not long after the death of friend and teammate Sean Taylor.

“Of course, I want to come back and play,” Portis said. “I think the previous two seasons, just losing the lust for the game, and not really knowing what I wanted to do _ compared to finally putting the work in this offseason and getting back and having the system that you believe in and getting the right teammates around and seeing the right guys fight for the right purpose. All of a sudden you miss it again.”

Portis noted that the injuries have combined to save him from a year’s worth of pounding, and that he’s used the time off to bond with his children. Coming back would give him a chance to prove his doubters wrong one more time.

Whether the Redskins will want him back is another matter. He has three years left on his contract, but his salary is set to increase to $8.25 million in 2011 and would almost certainly have to be negotiated.

That said, the Redskins don’t have a clear successor on the roster. Ryan Torain looks good but also can’t stay healthy: He’s missed three straight weeks with a hamstring injury.

“I’m about ready to strangle Ryan right now,” Shanahan said, “because he hasn’t come back quite quick enough.”

Portis‘ rehabilitation is expected to take three to six weeks. That means he should recover in plenty of time to prove his health before Shanahan has to make the major offseason roster decisions. Portis is also close to two notable milestones: 77 yards short of 10,000 for his career and 648 yards shy of the Redskins‘ franchise record held by John Riggins.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player
You Might Also Like
  • Nathan Walker waits to take the ice during the Capitals' development camp at the Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington on Monday, July 9, 2012. (Ryan M.L. Young/The Washington Times)

    Nathan Walker’s NHL dreams send him around the world

  • Washington Nationals' Anthony Rendon, third from left, smiles as he warms up with his teammates who were were wearing t-shirts in support of him for the All Star game before an interleague baseball game against the Baltimore Orioles at Nationals Park, Tuesday, July 8, 2014, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    Anthony Rendon not an All-Star, but he’s been Nats’ MVP

  • Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter speaks during a media availability in the dugout before an interleague baseball game against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park, Monday, July 7, 2014, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    LOVERRO: Suck-up Buck Showalter needs history lesson

  • Argentina's Maxi Rodriguez, left, celebrates with goalkeeper Sergio Romero after scoring the decisive goal during the World Cup semifinal soccer match between the Netherlands and Argentina at the Itaquerao Stadium in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Wednesday, July 9, 2014. Argentina beat the Netherlands 4-2 in a penalty shootout to reach the World Cup final. (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)

    Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final

  • Washington Redskins safety Tanard Jackson speaks during a media availability after an NFL football training camp practice at Redskins Park, Friday, Aug. 3, 2012 in Ashburn, Va. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again

  • Celebrities In The News
  • This image from video released by Funny Or Die shows President Obama, left, with actor-comedian Zach Galifianakis during an appearance on "Between Two Ferns," the digital short with a laser focus on reaching people aged 18 to 34. The president urged young people to sign up for the new health care plan through an appearance posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014, on the comic website Funny or Die, bypassing TV talk show titans like Jimmy Fallon or Jimmy Kimmel for an online audience. (AP Photo/Funny Or Die)

    Obama’s ‘Ferns’ interview gets Emmy nod

  • ** FILE ** In this Nov. 12, 2013, file photo, actor Alec Baldwin leaves court in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)

    Alec Baldwin in talks to play Rob Ford-like mayor in new NBC drama

  • Dinesh D'Souza's "America: Imagine the World Without Her" got promising reviews from two major Hollywood publications. It opens nationwide Wednesday.

    D’Souza on Costco debacle: ‘It was really bizarre’