- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Oregon’s Chip Kelly wins AP coach of year
EUGENE, ORE. (AP) - Oregon athletic officials were so convinced that Chip Kelly was destined to be head coach of the Ducks they offered him the job before it came open.
In just his second season leading Oregon, Kelly is taking the second-ranked Ducks to the national championship game on Jan. 10 against No. 1 Auburn _ and for that he was voted AP Coach of the Year on Tuesday.
Kelly received 24 votes from the 60-member AP football poll panel to beat out his BCS title game counterpart, Gene Chizik of Auburn, who received 17 votes.
Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh was third with five votes, TCU’s Gary Patterson, last year’s winner, and Mark Dantonio of Michigan State each received three votes. Getting one vote apiece were Nevada’s Chris Ault, Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy and Miami, Ohio’s Mike Haywood, who led the school to a Mid-American Conference championship before taking the top job at Pittsburgh last week.
One voter abstained and four did not return ballots.
Kelly has made a rapid rise from FCS coordinator in New England to leading the Pac-10’s new powerhouse program to within a victory of its first national championship.
Mike Bellotti, Oregon’s longtime head coach through the 2008 season, hired Kelly away from New Hampshire to run the Ducks offense in 2007. He installed an up-tempo, spread-option attack that has been growing more potent ever since.
It didn’t take long for it to become clear that Bellotti had hired his heir apparent. When Bellotti was tapped to take over as the school’s athletic director, Oregon announced in December 2008 _ as the Ducks prepared for the Holiday Bowl _ that Bellotti would become full-time AD at some point and Kelly was the head-coach in waiting.
In his first season as head coach, Kelly led the Ducks to a 10-3 record and the Pac-10 championship, tailoring his explosive offense to the dual talents of quarterback Jeremiah Masoli and weathering the storm of negative publicity brought about when star running back LeGarrette Blount punched a Boise State player after an opening game loss.
Oregon regrouped and went on to the Rose Bowl for the first time since New Year’s 1995.
Kelly was met by more turbulence this past spring when both Masoli and running back LaMichael James got into trouble.
After Masoli pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge tied to the theft of a campus fraternity house, Kelly suspended him for the season. The coach later won praise for dismissing Masoli _ considered to be a preseason Heisman Trophy hopeful _ when he was caught with marijuana in his car.
With Masoli gone, Kelly developed sophomore Darron Thomas into not just a replacement, but an upgrade.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.