- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Palace: Zara Phillips engaged to be married
Question of the Day
LONDON (AP) - Prince William and Kate Middleton will soon have company on the royal wedding calendar. Buckingham Palace announced Tuesday that Zara Phillips, Queen Elizabeth II’s eldest granddaughter, is engaged.
No date has been set yet. Phillips is close friends with her cousin, Prince William, who plans to marry Middleton at Westminster Abbey on April 29. Their engagement was announced last month.
Phillips, 29, is 12th in line to the throne.
The 32-year-old Tindall has played 66 times for England and was in the team that won the 2003 World Cup. It was during the tournament that he first met Phillips in a Sydney bar. Tindall plays for club side Gloucester and is still a regular in the national side.
The palace said in a statement that the couple got engaged Monday evening at their home in western England.
Buckingham Palace said the queen and her husband Prince Philip “are delighted with the news.”
Phillips, the daughter of Princess Anne, has won medals in world equestrian championships and was once voted BBC sports personality of the year _ as was her mother, who shares her loves of horses.
She was due to compete at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, but pulled out of the competition because of an injury to her horse.
The marriage between Princess Anne and Phillips‘ father, Mark Phillips, ended in divorce in 1992. Princess Anne has since remarried.
Zara Phillips and her older brother Peter are among the most low-profile members of the royal family, and the only ones among the queen’s eight grandchildren not to hold royal titles. Princess Anne turned down her mother’s offer of the honors for her children.
As soon as the engagement was announced, bookies began taking bets on the date and venue.
August was the early favorite, with St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle the odds-on venue. Zara’s brother, Peter, married his wife Autumn there two years ago.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors