- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
SGT. SHAFT: Merchant marine seeks help for cancer
For questions regarding the Freedom Award nomination process, please visit www.FreedomAward.mil; or contact Maj. Melissa Phillips, ESGR Public Affairs, at 703/696-1171, Ext. 519; or by e-mail at ESGR-PA@osd.mil.
• House Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Bob Filner, California Democrat, announced that the House of Representatives voted to approve legislation to address the unique medical concerns of women veterans, and injured and amputee veterans. H.R. 5953 requires that all Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) facilities post a bill of rights as a way to bolster the consistency of VA care and address gaps in care reported by these veteran patient populations.
“Through the hearings and roundtable discussions that the Committee held during this year, veterans have come forward to share their personal stories,” Mr. Filner said. “Although the VA has made some strides in caring for combat veterans, both male and female, significant gaps remain. H.R. 5953 would require VA to display in all of their facilities the 24 fundamental principles governing their treatment of women veterans, as well as require VA to widely distribute the bill of rights to women veterans. The bill would also instruct the VA to inform veterans and educate employees at each VA prosthetics and orthotics clinic of the Injured and Amputee Veterans’ Bill of Rights.”
• Send letters to Sgt. Shaft, c/o John Fales, P.O. Box 65900, Washington, D.C. 20035-5900; fax 301/622-3330, call 202/257-5446 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's widow seeks information regarding husband's benefits
- SGT. SHAFT: Divorced veteran seeks help getting full retirement benefits back
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's wife seeks help for husband with multiple sclerosis
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's spouse will be able to continue on TRICARE Prime until age 65
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's medical claim held up at VA
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.