- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
NFL Capsule: Panthers at Steelers
Question of the Day
OPENING LINE _ Steelers by 5 1/2
RECORD VS. SPREAD _ Carolina 4-10, Pittsburgh 7-6-1
SERIES RECORD _ Steelers lead 3-1
PANTHERS OFFENSE _ OVERALL (32), RUSH (12), PASS (32)
PANTHERS DEFENSE _ OVERALL (12), RUSH (23), PASS (8)
STEELERS OFFENSE _ OVERALL (19), RUSH (8), PASS (18)
STEELERS DEFENSE _ OVERALL (3), RUSH (1), PASS (24)
STREAKS, STATS AND NOTES _ Carolina is playing in Pittsburgh for second time this year. Panthers lost 19-3 in preseason game on Sept. 2, when Steelers QB Byron Leftwich _ expected to replace Ben Roethlisberger during his suspension _ injured knee. That forced Steelers to start Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch at QB during Roethlisberger’s four-game absence. Leftwich is healthy but still has not played this season. … Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart is averaging 115 yards and 5.9 yards per carry in his last four games, with Carolina averaging 167.8 yards rushing as a team during that stretch. Stewart is trying for his third consecutive game of 130 yards-plus. Pittsburgh allows league-low 63.4 yards rushing, and has permitted one 100-yard rusher in 48 games. … Carolina DE Charles Johnson has six sacks in five games, with at least one in each game. … Carolina CB Chris Gamble needs one interception to match Eric Davis for club record with 25 in career. … Carolina is 0-6 on road, with four double-digit losses. … Panthers rookie QB Jimmy Clausen has two TD passes and seven interceptions. … Panthers K John Kasay is seventh in NFL history with 431 field goals and is eighth with 1,816 points. … Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 15 times in four games. Roethlisberger is 11-1 at home against NFC teams. … Pittsburgh is 6-1 at home vs. NFC under coach Mike Tomlin. … Steelers LB James Farrior has sack in four of five games. … Pittsburgh has won 22 of its last 27 against NFC, dating to 2003. … Steelers are playing third home game in 12 days. They beat Cincinnati 23-7 on Dec. 12 before losing to Jets on Sunday. … Steelers K Shaun Suisham is 11-for-11 in field goals since being signed Nov. 16 to replace Jeff Reed. Suisham has made his last 15 from 40-49 yards, dating to last season with Washington.
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Classical music and the performing arts: news and reviews you can use.
Our Choice: Individual responsibility and self-government or the abandonment of the American Revolution
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow