- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
- Landslide hits Indian village; 150 may be trapped
- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
EDITORIAL: Standing watch on Christmas
Attributed to Lt. Cmdr. Jeff Giles, U.S. Navy, Al Taqqadum, Iraq
Question of the Day
To the window that danced with a warm fire’s light
Then he sighed and he said “It’s really all right,
“I’m out here by choice. I’m here every night.
“So your family can sleep without any fright.
“It’s my duty to stand at the front of the line,
“That separates you from the darkest of times.
“No one had to ask or beg or implore me,
“I’m proud to stand here like my fathers before me.
“My Gramps died at ‘Pearl’ on a day in December,”
Then he sighed, “That’s a Christmas ‘Gram will always remember.
“My dad stood his watch in the jungles of ‘Nam,’
“And now it is my turn and so, here I am.
“I’ve not seen my own son in more than a while,
“But my wife sends me pictures; he’s sure got her smile.”
Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag,
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone