- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Spider-Man safety gets positive review from state
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Spider-Man survived the scrutiny of a state safety inspector and has been cleared for further leaps through the holiday weekend.
New York State Department of Labor spokesman Leo Rosales said Friday that a new set of “very strict safety and security measures” were properly in place when “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark,” resumed Thursday night.
“Spider-Man,” the most expensive Broadway show ever, had to cancel two preview performances earlier this week after a 30-foot fall by stunt actor Christopher Tierney brought an abrupt end to a Monday night show.
Tierney underwent back surgery and was recovering at the hospital after a safety harness that should have prevented the accident failed to stop the plunge, causing him to tumble from a ledge into a stage pit.
Afterward, the state imposed new rules for the show’s nearly 40 aerial stunts, including requiring at least two people be involved at securing equipment before a jump or that the attachment be watched on video by a second person if the space does not allow for two people.
Rosales said a state safety inspector was there Thursday night when performances resumed but would not be at all future shows.
“Everything seemed to run smoothly yesterday,” he said. “We’re confident that the Spider-Man production people have implemented all of these measures.”
He said the state had not yet completed its investigation.
“We want to make sure we speak to everyone who witnessed the accident,” he said. “We want to look at the moving parts and look at the ropes. There were a lot of stagehands and producers on hand to see this happen.”
Rick Miramontez, a spokesman for the highly anticipated $65 million musical, which teamed the “Lion King” creator Julie Taymor with U2 songwriters Bono and The Edge, said “Spider-Man” would be performed as scheduled through the weekend and that sales were brisk.
The show’s official Broadway opening has twice been postponed. It is now set for early February.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- MAY: Barbarians at Jordan's gate
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq