- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
Obama likely to name new economic adviser
REUTERS NEWS AGENCY
Mr. Summers announced his resignation as head of the National Economic Council in September but has continued in the job.
“I expect the president will make a new announcement on a new NEC director probably the first week or two weeks after Congress comes back into session,” Mr. Gibbs said.
Members of the new Congress, which will have a Republican majority in the House of Representatives and a smaller Democratic majority in the Senate, will be sworn in Jan. 5.
Mr. Summers, who served as treasury secretary under President Clinton and is a former president of Harvard University, was known for his blunt style and was seen by some liberal Democrats as being too close to Wall Street.
Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner remains the only original member of Mr. Obama’s economic team still in his original job.
“I don’t expect, quite honestly, big changes,” he said. “I think we’ve had a very capable and good Cabinet that has helped move the president’s agenda forward.”
Mr. Gibbs added, “There’s obviously a lot that has to be done at Treasury to implement financial reform and at HHS to implement health care reform and I think we have a very talented team.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014