- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
- Publisher unveils Hillary Clinton’s new memoir — ‘Hard Choices’
- Britain’s Labour Party hires David Axelrod — but can’t spell his name
The annual USA Today-Gallup poll, released Monday, finds that Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is the most admired woman for the ninth year in a row. Mrs. Clinton edges out former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and TV host Oprah Winfrey, as she did last year.
The poll asks respondents to name the man, and the woman, living in any part of the world, they admire most.
Mrs. Clinton has been the most admired woman 15 times since 1992.
Auditor urges special election
CHARLESTON | State Auditor Glen Gainer is jumping into the debate over whether a special election for West Virginia governor should be held next year.
In a filing with the state Supreme Court on Monday, Mr. Gainer argues that West Virginia’s Constitution is clear and trumps any state law covering gubernatorial succession. Mr. Gainer supports the two lawsuits that seek a special gubernatorial election.
Former Gov. Joe Manchin III’s election to the U.S. Senate elevated state Senate President Earl Ray Tomblin to acting governor.
Legislative lawyers have argued that their reading of state law means Mr. Tomblin can serve until the next general election in 2012.
Mr. Gainer argues if Mr. Tomblin is allowed to serve one year as governor, then the constitution will be circumvented.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.