NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A blaze in an abandoned warehouse in New Orleans has killed eight homeless people who were burning wood in a barrel to stay warm during a freezing night.
Temperatures dipped below freezing overnight in New Orleans.
Davis says the fire was reported just before 2 a.m., and the building was fully ablaze when the first truck arrived.
Survivors told firefighters that at least some of the people inside were unconscious. Davis says they might have been knocked out by carbon monoxide, which is likely to build up when anything is burned in an enclosed area.
The building was on the edge of a working-class residential neighborhood.
By Rand Paul
Obama acts as though we no longer have a Constitution
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
First over-the-counter column approved for fast and effective relief from even your worst media-induced headache.
Contributions to the Communities Sports desk from readers.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc