- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Officials elected, then exempted
Question of the Day
When our representatives and senators enact laws to better our lives, they don’t have to live under the laws they lay down for the people. The recent health care plan and Social Security offer examples of this trend. They vote themselves personal staff allowances, paid domestic travel, etc. They vote themselves generous raises and possess liberal retirement plans.
Our country’s founders didn’t mean for elected officials to stay in office and enrich themselves. They were to spend one term in office and go back to their homes and live under the laws they had enacted.
James Madison, a framer of the Constitution, wrote in the Federalist Papers: “The House of Representatives … can make no law which will not have its full operation on themselves and their friends, as well as the great mass of society.”
Here’s my question: What’s happened since then?
TIMOTHY D. O’REILLY
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks