- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
Indictment on tap in Hariri’s assassination
Tribunal will target individuals, not organizations
LEIDSCHENDAM, Netherlands | The prosecutor of the U.N.-backed tribunal investigating the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri will issue his first indictment very soon, the court’s new leader said Thursday.
Special Tribunal for Lebanon registrar Herman von Hebel gave no details about the content of the indictment, which will remain confidential until it is confirmed by a judge at the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, likely early next year.
Tension over the tribunal has paralyzed Lebanon in recent weeks amid speculation prosecutor Daniel Bellemare will indict members of Hezbollah, the Syrian- and Iranian-backed Shiite militant group that controls a military force that is more powerful than the national army and part of Lebanon’s fragile governing coalition.
Mr. Hariri, a Sunni Muslim, was Lebanon’s most prominent politician in the years after the 1975-90 civil war. He and 22 other people were killed by a truck bomb on Feb. 14, 2005. At the time, he was trying to limit Syria’s influence in Lebanon.
Mr. von Hebel, a Dutchman who previously has worked at tribunals prosecuting crimes in Sierra Leone and the former Yugoslavia, stressed that the Hariri court will indict individuals and not organizations.
“We are talking about individual criminal responsibility, not group responsibility,” he told a small group of reporters at the court’s headquarters, the day after the U.N. appointed him registrar for a three year term.
He said a pretrial judge will likely take six to 10 weeks to confirm all or parts of the indictment, or reject it if there is insufficient evidence. A trial could begin four to six months after an indictment is confirmed.
The indictment could remain sealed even after it is confirmed, if the court believes that would make arresting suspects easier, Mr. von Hebel said.
The Hariri tribunal, like other international war-crimes courts, does not have its own police force to arrest suspects. Unlike other tribunals, it has the power to try suspects in absentia if they elude arrest.
That will prevent situations like that of former Bosnian Serb army commander Gen. Ratko Mladic, who remains on the run from justice 15 years after being indicted by the U.N. Yugoslavia tribunal for genocide.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.