- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
U.S. hunts for English-speaking bombers
“I am not at all surprised by that. I was not surprised by the Christmas Day bomber. I am not surprised at all that there are those that believe that there are other English speakers out there,” Mr. Hoesktra said.
Mr. Hoekstra and his Senate intelligence committee counterpart, Sen. Christopher S. Bond, Missouri Republican, have said publicly that it was a mistake for the FBI to read Mr. Abdulmutallab his constitutional rights as a criminal after he was detained in Detroit. When he was arrested, a high value interrogation group that the Obama administration had established for questioning terrorists was not completely operational.
The White House has defended the decision to treat Mr. Abdulmutallab as a criminal on the grounds that the suspect’s family has coaxed him into cooperating, something that likely would not have occurred had he not been afforded access to counsel.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again