- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
‘Despicable Me’ dashes off with $56.4M opening
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The villain in “Despicable Me” tries to steal the moon, but the movie itself will have to settle for a huge opening atop the box office.
The first 3-D animated film from Universal Pictures debuted at No. 1 this weekend with $56.4 million, according to final studio figures Monday. That’s about $4 million lower than the Sunday estimate of $60.1 million.
The week’s other new wide release, the sci-fi thriller “Predators” from 20th Century Fox, made $24.8 million.
The top 20 movies at U.S. and Canadian theaters Friday through Sunday, followed by distribution studio, gross, number of theater locations, average receipts per location, total gross and number of weeks in release, as compiled Monday by Hollywood.com are:
1. “Despicable Me,” Universal, $56,397,125, 3,476 locations, $16,225 average, $56,397,125, one week.
2. “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse,” Summit, $31,708,438, 4,468 locations, $7,097 average, $235,370,815, two weeks.
3. “Predators,” Fox, $24,760,882, 2,669 locations, $9,277 average, $24,760,882, one week.
4. “Toy Story 3,” Disney, $21,015,958, 3,753 locations, $5,600 average, $339,240,857, four weeks.
5. “The Last Airbender,” Paramount, $16,635,471, 3,203 locations, $5,194 average, $99,712,757, two weeks.
6. “Grown Ups,” Sony, $15,806,738, 3,463 locations, $4,564 average, $110,721,531, three weeks.
7. “Knight and Day,” Fox, $7,719,251, 2,628 locations, $2,937 average, $61,808,110, three weeks.
8. “The Karate Kid,” Sony, $5,365,636, 2,458 locations, $2,183 average, $164,301,124, five weeks.
9. “The A-Team,” Fox, $1,752,421, 1,236 locations, $1,418 average, $73,923,594, five weeks.
10. “Cyrus,” Fox Searchlight, $1,280,470, 200 locations, $6,402 average, $3,426,545, four weeks.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again