- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
Pyongyang insists on own probe of warship’s sinking
SEOUL | North Korea's military renewed its call for its own investigation into March's deadly sinking of a South Korean warship as it met Thursday with the U.S.-led U.N. Command for the first time since the incident raised tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
An international investigation in May concluded that a North Korean submarine fired a torpedo that sank the 1,200-ton Cheonan near the tense Korean sea border, killing 46 South Korean sailors.
At the talks, the North's officers stressed that Pyongyang's inspectors should be permitted to go to the site of the sinking to verify those results, according to state media. So far, Seoul has rejected the North's request.
"Field investigation by an inspection group ... should precede under any circumstances to ensure the successful opening of the general-level talks," the North's official Korean Central News Agency said in a dispatch.
Colonel-level officers gathered Thursday at the Korean border village of Panmunjom for about 90 minutes and talked about the hosting of higher-level talks to discuss the sinking, the U.N. Command said in a statement. The two sides agreed to hold the second colonel-level meeting in Panmunjom next week, KCNA said.
Thursday's talks came a week after the U.N. Security Council approved a statement that condemned the sinking but stopped short of directly blaming North Korea.
South Korea and the U.S. have called the sinking a violation of the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War in 1953, while Pyongyang flatly denies it was responsible and has warned any punishment would trigger war.
The U.N. Command, which oversees the armistice, separately investigated whether the sinking violated the truce, though the findings have not been disclosed.
Late last month, the command proposed military talks with North Korea to review its findings and initiate dialogue.
The North first rejected the offer, criticizing the U.S. for purportedly trying to meddle in inter-Korean affairs under the name of the U.N. But it reversed its position last week and proposed working-level talks at Panmunjom to prepare for higher-level talks by general officers on the sinking.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.